The Bread Of Life


By Robin Jones & Joy Coe


1 Kings 17:12 (New International Version)12 "As surely as the LORD your God lives," she replied, "I don't have any bread—only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it—and die."

It had been at least 11 years since I had last made yeast bread. I made the bread on a whim. However, the whim was motivated by a small voice compelling me to do something that I used to enjoy. So instead of analyzing it…instead of pushing the voice down and ignoring it, I just did it.

As the bread was cooking, my mind wandered to how blessed I was to have someone help me by babysitting my son at the last minute. When the two little misshapen loaves of bread came out of the oven, I was so pleased. The breads were beautiful to behold and their fragrance filled the house. My husband and I enjoyed one of the loaves of yummy bread with some butter. At that moment, I had an impulse to wrap the other loaf and take it over as a small gesture of thanks to my wonderful friends.

I rang the doorbell and waited. A shy boy with blonde hair and chocolate brown eyes answered the door.“Hi, please give this bread to your Mother. Tell her and your sister that it is a ‘thank you’ for babysitting for me.”

The boy obediently took the warm bread. I left and went to work. On the way to work, I thought about how delightful it had been to use my hands to make bread. I smiled and went about my day with a little joy bubbling up inside of my heart.

A few weeks after, I had an opportunity to talk to my friend who had received the bread as a "thank you." She told me a story that gave me chills, and confirmed for me to always follow what God lays on your heart.

My friend had been praying for months for assistance and help from God for financial provision and security. She was constantly being plagued by worry over unpaid bills and looming obligations. As time and prayer evolved, my friend felt God telling her to Be Still, and to trust in Him for her daily provisions, and to relinquish concern and anxiety for her future, to put it in His hands. And on this morning of my breadmaking, once again, she went to God in prayer, beseeching Him to protect her family from financial stress and woe. And again, she sensed God assuring her that her life was secure in His hands and that He asked only to trust Him for her Daily Bread.

As she prayed to God, her six year old daughter appeared, asking for something to eat."Mom, can I just have something to snack on?"

"I can make you some rice, but it will take a little while. We don’t have any ready to eat snack food and we really can't go to the store just yet."

Just a piece of bread or something, that's all, Mom?"

About that time, the doorbell rang. Her son opened the door, closed the door, then brought a small package back to his mother. It was a warm loaf of bread. She and her five children gathered around the table and devoured the bread with some homemade jam and butter. It was like manna from heaven. It was their Daily Bread.

As my friend told me this story about receiving food the very instant her daughter asked for it, my eyes filled with tears. She went on to tell me that God had been challenging her about trusting him with provision, about seeking Him first, about how He could do infinitely more than she could ever think or imagine, how He cares for the sparrows and so much more for us. By following something God had whispered into my heart, God blessed and taught my friend a beautiful truth about Him.

However, God had not only worked THROUGH me, but He had also done something IN me. The calloused scar in my heart that had been caused by years of repressed passion for art and all things creative and adventurous, tore open. For years, I had put aside things I loved to do that were creative and adventurous. I had put them aside because "I wasn't good enough", "It would make too much of a mess", "It would make someone uncomfortable", " I might not be accepted and rejected".My friend's story showed me that by saying "yes" to God the He would use ordinary things to do extraordinary things in people's lives.

So, say "yes" this week! Don't hide your light, your gifts, and talents that God has endowed you with under a basket.Love, Robin

Points to Ponder:Remember the times God has provided for you before your need ever arose. Name 3 events.

Don’t forget the way God created you and the special gifts and talents He has poured into you. Name 3 things that make you special.
John 6:35 (The Message)35Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.

Matthew 6: 25 - 34 (The Message)25-26"If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds. 27-29"Has anyone by fussing in front of the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? All this time and money wasted on fashion—do you think it makes that much difference? Instead of looking at the fashions, walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They never primp or shop, but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them. 30-33"If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. 34"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

Comments

  1. 1) People gave me clothing for Gabriel (before he was ever born)for his first 3 years.

    2) We had two homes and God provided a renter to ease the financial burden.

    3) My husband had been without a job for quite a while. Before the renter unexpectedly moved out of the house, God provided a job that amply supplied our needs for the two mortgages plus some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I am artistic.
    2) I am loving.
    3) I am adventurous

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

Darkness and Ditches

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting