Ish Way--Part 1

Step 1. Mount the slide.
Step 2. Firmly grasp the sides of the slide, and walk up the slide. Ladders
are for other people.














Step 3. Once you are atop the slide, slide down, silly.

Lessons on sliding, by Gabriel Jones. This post, by Robin Jones.

If life is a journey, them mine has lots of stops on the way called cosmic object lessons.

Today's blog title is actually an anagram. Dictionary.Com defines an anagram as "a word, phrase, or sentence formed from another by rearranging its letters". So, let's start today's reading with a word puzzle. See if you can figure out what the first word of the title should be by the time you finish reading the blog.

I find that I have learned the most in life about being a parent and a person from my children. Casey, Ashley, and Gabriel have taught me more about living and loving than one person should ever be allowed to know. They have taught me more than I have taught them. I'm sure of it. God set it up that way--maybe to make Him smile, maybe to fulfill my Mother's prayer..."one day you will have one just like you", or maybe He knows that object lessons work best for His child the "hands on" learner.

I know that you parents know what I mean, right!? You are encouraging or disciplining your kids with words of love and wisdom; then it happens. One of your parents' disembodied voices comes flying from your lips? What? Was that the voice of Martha Jean? Wait for it, I think I'm channelling Pete. The humming of the way back machine deafens my ears. Lights and sounds start whizzing by and then I see it...a picture of me when I was 3 doing the same thing. Immediately, my hand flies over my mouth. I am undone...aghast.

Then in the silence, I hear the still, small voice of God, "this seems familiar doesn't it?" Through my own parenting experiences, He reminds me of how I'm just like my children to Him. Let me give you an example.

Gabriel and I were walking around a farm a few days ago. Wherever he went in the barnyard, I followed him. He stopped to talk to the horse. I stopped to talk to the horse. He picked up three pieces of straw to feed the ponies. I stood by watching both he and the ponies carefully. Giving him some space to be independent, but also stationing myself between baby and beast to give both protection. As his exploration continued, his confidence grew and he wasn't really aware that I was still following him. We walked through the barn and out of the other side. As we rounded the barn, Gabriel started veering off the path. He galloped as fast as his little biscuit feet could carry him toward the electric fence. I did not walk or saunter after him. I ran. I ran and caught him by the hand and told him, "This way."

After being so independent for such a long walk, he naturally dug his little feet into the ground and pulled in the opposite direction. "Nooo." he squealed. "Ish way." As I pulled, he pulled in the opposite direction insisting, "Ish way. Ish way."

I gently, but firmly pulled him away from the fence and back onto the right path. As I did, I lovingly explained to him, "Sweetie, we have to go this way. Mommy knows the right way to go; so you want to follow me so that you won't get hurt."

Boom.... There it was.....My Heavenly Father's voice, "Haven't you and I had this same conversation? Isn't this what I have taught you, too, Robin? He whispers his word into my heart: "Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own.Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track.Don't assume that you know it all. Run to God! Run from evil!........But don't, dear friend, resent God's discipline; don't sulk under his loving correction. It's the child he loves that God corrects; a father's delight is behind all this. I love you and want the best for you. I have plans to prosper you and not to harm you. I know the way you should go." Proverbs 3: 5- 12 (The Message)

We all go our own way instead of His way. I have definitely done it "my way". In fact, "My way" should be my theme song. God is faithful. He always followed me as I walked my path to this point. He stood close by protecting me from the beast. Although I did my best to wrench my hand from His, He did not let go. He always pulled me back onto the path--gently, lovingly.

David tells us in the 23rd Psalm that "Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I'm not afraid when you walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure." (CEV) In ancient Hebrew times, shepherds carried two instruments to protect their flock, a club and a rod. The club was to protect against the wild animals and a rod to guide and control the flock. They laid down their lives looking after and protecting their sheep.

So what is the Big Point? The point is God is good. Jesus is the good shepherd. He loves you and looks after you all of the time regardless of your awarness of Him. He stepped out of heaven to rescue you. In fact, He laid down His very life for you.

Comments

  1. Wow Robin that was wonderful and did I ever need to read it. What a beautiful illustration.
    As I've said before, "you're good" and should be sending these into a daily devotional magazine publication, then compiling them together for a book. I know that some day I will see your book on one of the bestseller's list.
    Love, Margie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting

Darkness and Ditches