Holy Pink Fuzzy Slippers


By Robin Jones

“The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing”
Zephaniah 3:17 [NIV]

One of the most moving things I’ve ever done in my whole life is minister to a dear friend with whom I carpooled. Day after day, she shared with me, and I shared with her my tattered story and the hope that I have in Jesus. We cried out and prayed about the circumstances that beset her. I nodded my head and said, “I’ve walked a mile in your shoes. In fact, I’ve walked about 10, 000 miles.” My friend sat behind the wheel in desperation, tears filling her eyes. She nodded and asked, “….you mean my ratty, pink fuzzy slippers with holes in them? The ones I wear when I’m down?” “Yes,” I answered. “I know those shoes well--your holy pink fuzzy slippers.”

Don’t we all have a pair of those worn out shoes or slippers…the ones that give us a sense of comfort and security? We all seem to have some worn out slippers that we put on when no one else can really know how we feel because they really haven’t walked in our shoes. Fear grips our hearts, anger entangles our minds, and grief consumes our souls as we trod along a dimly lit and rocky path.

No pair of shoes, no matter how comfy they are, can overcome fear. The truth, like Ed Young, Jr. says, is that “F.E.A.R. is nothing more than False Evidence Appearing Real.” The accuser is sitting in the court room and reading the litany of charges against us, yammering about how bad we are, how offensive we are, how no one in the world could be like us or know our pain. The worst thing about the whole scene is that we believe the lies. In the heat and emotion of the moment, we forget WHO we are and WHOSE we are!

For believers, in reality, we are the precious sons and daughters of the King of Kings (Romans 8:17). We are saved by the precious blood of Jesus (John 10:11). We are comforted minute by minute by the Holy Spirit who dwells within us (John 14:16–17). In his infinite and eternal wisdom, God stepped out of heaven and became flesh so that He could walk a mile in our shoes. We do not bear anything in this life that Jesus did not experience…….impoverished, misunderstood, lied about, cheated, hated, lonely, betrayed, humiliated, oppressed, beaten, unjustly tried, and ultimately sacrificed (Isaiah 53:5).

For those who believe, we can stand on those promises. For those who don’t, you must step out on faith and those promises can be yours, too. Whatever your burden, lay it down in the out-stretched arms of Jesus. He beckons you to give up the false comfort of your blanket and ratty pink fuzzy slippers and take comfort in his secure, loving arms. In the book of Matthew Jesus says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Don’t ever forget, your loving Heavenly Father is with you. He has the power to save you if you cry out to Him. He will delight in wrapping you in his arms. He is the proud papa who will quiet your tears, hold you close, sing over you, and shush you like a babe as you gently rest in his embrace.

Third Day says it best………..
There is hope for the helplessRest for the wearyLove for the broken heartThere is grace and forgivenessMercy and healingHe'll meet you wherever you areCry out to Jesus, Cry out to Jesus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting

Darkness and Ditches