Heart Problems

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also".-- Luke 12: 34, Matthew 6:21 (NIV)
A few years ago, I was trying to get in shape.  I made a decision to go to the gym next door to my office and work out during lunch. During this time, I got on an elliptical machine and frantically pumped my feet and arms back and forth and up and down for 30 minutes.  (Envision a chubby little hamster running for his life on a wheel that goes nowhere.)

Sometimes, I listened to music. Sometimes, a friend came with me and we chatted.  One day, I had neither my iPod nor a friend to keep me company; so, I tuned into one of the four televisions suspended over the exercise machines. You could pick the channel you wanted to listen to via headphones.  "There were four shows on, which one should I choose", I thought to myself. "Hmmm....my eyes darted back and forth......Bloomberg, Food Network, a news segment about tantric sex, or religious programming". 

I selected Bloomberg.  "Great.  Money. How to have more money. How to handle money. Money, money, money."  I changed the channel to the Food Network.  "Hey, Ya'll", drawled Paula Deen.  "Food.  How to prepare food. What food tastes good. Food, food, food."  Boring.  I changed the channel again.  A news show was running a segment on tantric sex. "Sex. What is sex.  How to do it. How to ....."Oh. Wow! Um...I wonder if kids are watching this?  Definitely not boring, but I might not get through my work out. Good grief.  What now?", I thought.  I changed the channel again.  It was religious programming.  "hmm...interesting....wait." My mental gears stripped out and I stepped on the brake.

Slowly, I flipped channel by channel and said, "Money..... Food...... Sex...... God.  I repeated it to myself as I quickly changed channels over and over again.  "Money, Food, Sex, God.  Money, Food, Sex, God.  That is weird, but important?!"

I slowed my strides on the elliptical and prayed a question, "What? What is important about this,Lord?"  Instantly, it came into focus.  God whispered into my heart, "you have trusted in all of these things, money, food, sex, and me.  Each has been your treasure, but which has remained?"

I had placed my trust in money for security.  If I make a lot of money, my future is secure, and I am important.  I had placed my trust in food for comfort.  If I eat when I am anxious, bored, tired, depressed or stressed, I am comforted.  I had placed my trust in sex.  If I am sexy or like to have sex, I am lovely, loveable, and powerful. 

I got off the machine and went to the sauna. "Oh good grief," I thought to myself.  I was so humbled. Tears began to stream down my face.  I started to pray there in my private prayer closet (sauna).  I worshipped the most high God from my very broken places. I cried out to God. I just began repeating the names of God and their meanings in agreement that He is the one who remains forever. I began singing my favorite worship songs.The ones that called out how God is the one to trust.

The answer to the question is He is the one that will remain when all else disappears and when nothing else matters--not money, food, or sex.  Put your heart where the true treasure is... in God.

Things to Ponder:
What are you putting your heart into? Where is your treasure?

If a name represents who you are, then consider the names of God.  By knowing his names, do you know him better?  Are his characteristics something you can rely on?  What do you need in your life right now?

"The Name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous runs into it and is safe." Proverbs .18:10
Names of God from http://www.smilegodlovesyou.org/names.html
ELOHIM......Genesis 1:1, Psalm 19:1 meaning "God", a reference to God's power and might.

ADONAI......Malachi 1:6 meaning "Lord", a reference to the Lordship of God.

JEHOVAH--YAHWEH.....Genesis 2:4 a reference to God's divine salvation.

JEHOVAH-MACCADDESHEM.......Exodus 31:13 meaning "The Lord thy sanctifier"

JEHOVAH-ROHI......Psalm 23:1 meaning "The Lord my shepherd"

JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH.......Ezekiel 48:35 meaning "The Lord who is present"

JEHOVAH-RAPHA.........Exodus 15:26 meaning "The Lord our healer"

JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU......Jeremiah 23:6 meaning "The Lord our righteousness"

JEHOVAH-JIREH.........Genesis 22:13-14 meaning "The Lord will provide"

JEHOVAH-NISSI.........Exodus 17:15 meaning "The Lord our banner"

JEHOVAH-SHALOM........Judges 6:24 meaning "The Lord is peace"

JEHOVAH-SABBAOTH......Isaiah 6:1-3 meaning "The Lord of Hosts"

EL-ELYON..............Genesis 14:17-20,Isaiah 14:13-14 meaning "The most high God"

EL-ROI................Genesis 16:13 meaning "The strong one who sees"

EL-SHADDAI............Genesis 17:1,Psalm 91:1 meaning "The God of the mountains or God Almighty"

EL-OLAM...............Isaiah 40:28-31 meaning "The everlasting God"

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, I loved it!!! Amazing how this corresponds to the "Made To Crave" book. You are such a talented writer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting

Darkness and Ditches