Working It Out at the She Speaks Conference


I've wanted to attend a Christian Writer's Conference called "She Speaks" for three years. They offer tons of teaching, resources, and publishing opportunities for writers, speakers, and ministry leaders. Each year, the desire to go gets more intense and the drum beat is getting loud...louder....LOUDEST. The sound is deafening, and my ears are splitting from the call. I can no longer ignore it or use an excuse to avoid it.

I've prayed and prayed for my desires, the stars and the finances to line up --to no avail or so it would seem. Perhaps the real deal is that rather than just giving me what I want like a cosmic vending machine, God in his sovereign wisdom knows that His stubborn little girl needs something a little different, a little harder to experience Him and grow. This year, the ladies at Proverbs 31 are offering a Cecil Murphy scholarship which covers the $575 to attend the conference. All I have to do is write about it. (Imagine that, a writer having to work for it by writing about it.)

This brings me to the phrase 'work it out'. While channel surfing, I heard the expression for the first time on a random religious program. One hundred and ten channels with nothing worthwhile on--ever then it jumped out and caused me to pause. A woman was talking about raising godly kids, fighting for marriages, and how it is hard was. She said “… but God wants us to work it out anyway”. Over and over she said, “Work it out”... "WORK it out"... "WORK IT OUT". When God speaks to me, He seems to repeat Himself. (Of course it is not because He stutters.  It's because repetition seems to be what is needed to get through to his thick headed child.) As I was reading through the book of Joshua yesterday, God confirmed that some labor was going to be required from me.

Joshua 16 and 17 begins the narrative about Joshua handing out the allotments land to the tribes of Israel. However, the people of Joseph wanted more land than they originally received. Their reasoning was because they were “a numerous people.” Joshua 17:14 (NIV) Joshua responded that they should go settle the hill country which had already had been given to them.
"The people of Joseph replied, 'The hill country is not enough for us, and all the Canaanites who live in the plain have iron chariots, both those in Beth Shan and its settlements and those in the Valley of Jezreel.'" Joshua 17: 16 (NIV)
The true nature of why they wanted more was revealed. Settling them thar hills was going to be hard. Ever been there?   Joshua's response pierced my heart,
"...You are numerous and very powerful. You will have not only one allotment but the forested hill country as well. Clear it, and its farthest limits will be yours; though the Canaanites have iron chariots and though they are strong, you can drive them out."
 In a nutshell, Joshua told them to 'work it out.’

What’s the big point? In My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers says it best:
"We look for visions from heaven and for earthshaking events to see God’s power… If we will only obey, and do the task that He has placed closest to us, we will see Him. One of the most amazing revelations of God comes to us when we learn that it is in the everyday things of life that we realize the magnificent deity of Jesus Christ.”
Thanks, Oz…I guess I’ll work it out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

Darkness and Ditches

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting