Laundry Stomping Good Time

laundry
(No one was hurt during this photo shoot, honest.)
Here's something new and antiquated at the same time, hand washing all of your clothes using a wash tub, scrub board, and laundry line.  I know what you are thinking..."um, have you lost your mind or just completely sold out to the Amish? " Actually, no, but I do wonder sometimes what the cats think of me.

Now that it is winter, it's a little harder to hang the clothes out to dry on the line, but it can be done.  During the summer, I was a washing wench fool.  Through trial and error, I have learned four pivotal things about laundry.

Lessons Learned
1)  Don't wait two weeks to wash clothes.

Hubby made me a neat little wash tub out of a 5 gallon bucket, gamma seal, and plunger.  It was great, but not for two weeks worth of clothes. On the bright side, I got one heck of a bi-cep/tri-cep work out.

2)  The bathtub makes a fine wash tub and provides a hyper 4 year old with tons of entertainment and exercise.

Well, when you wait too long to wash 'em, they are not going to fit in a 5 gallon bucket now are they?

3) You have to have a system.

Now that you have all the clothes in the hot bubbly soap, how do we agitate them?  Ah, yes, this is where the 4 year old comes in. He runs back and forth and jumps up and down on them.  Once he's bored, you simply apply all of that early 90's aerobic routine knowledge stored in the flabby part of your brain, "And kick, one, two, three, four.... and reverse it, and one, two, three, four."  Seriously, Buns of Steel can't touch laundry stomping for calorie burning and gluteal toning.

4)  Laundry is a whole lot dirtier than you think.

I think most of us look at clothes like the aren't really dirty unless you can see or smell the funk.  Let me just tell you, until you have been up close and personal with your laundry water, you really don't know how dirty those worn-one-time-only-jeans are.  It looks like brownish, milky, sudsy, muddy water.  Ick!

During a frothy laundry episode, God knocked on my noggin, "This is like sin."

"Huh?",  I'm a little dense and don't get it sometimes.

"Isn't this like sin?  Your covered in it, but most of the time you don't really recognize the mess you are in until you see the mud and smell the foul odor."  Whispered the Lord.

A verse danced through my head, "We are all infected and impure with sin. When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags. Like autumn leaves, we wither and fall,and our sins sweep us away like the wind." (Isaiah 64:6 NLT)

"But Lord", I parried, "you are so merciful. Even though you could have left me in this nasty wash water, you didn't."

"No, I didn't.  What would you do if your child was lost, utterly stuck in the mud, and about to perish?  What bridge would you cross? What mountain would you climb? What ocean would you lay bear to rescue them?

Tears streamed down my face, "There is no bridge too far, mountain too high, nor ocean to deep.  I would do anything to save them.  I would die for them."

"That is what I have done for all of my children.  I love them so much that I laid my life down so that they may live.  My will is that they live with me, but they must choose.  Tell them."

Like my handwashing experience, we can count on the fact that we have a lot more backlogged dirty, grimy laundry than we can clean on your own.  Most of us, get knee deep in the nasty, mud before we figure out we need a more efficient system to clean up.  Jesus is THE best hope for us to be completely washed clean.  He beckons us to let Him do the heavy lifting, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."

All we have to do is say, "Yes."

Chew on this:

Consider the message in this song, "Every Man" by Casting Crowns

While we were still messy and dirty, Christ died for us.  Read Romans 5: 6 - 8 (NIV 2010)

Consider these parables told by Jesus. Read Luke 15 (MSG)

Jesus waits for each of us to come to him--as long as it takes, he will wait.  Read 2 Peter 3:8 -9 (MSG)

Repentence is a change of heart, not opinion.

Comments

  1. Soak me in your laundry and I'll come out clean,
    scrub me and I'll have a snow-white life.
    Psalm 51: 7 - 15 msg.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

Darkness and Ditches

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting