Orange is a Food Group


Orange is a food group.  I am officially declaring it on behalf of my four year old son.  He only eats food that is the color orange or compliments the color orange.  The list that follows includes foods that are ALLOWED to come in contact with his delicate palate: orange chickies, orange jello, yellow apple juice, tan applesauce, orange madarine oranges, white flour tortillas and orange macaroni and cheese.  Sometimes, he might add 'redish pinkish' bologna.  I know, I know....gross.  However, right now, it's either this or starvation.

The pediatrician has chastised me. Friends are split.  Some say that I should not give him anything else but what everyone else is eating.  Other friends say that he won't eat this way forever.  Parenting books say that it isn't a hill worth dying on and that the problem will correct itself.  But oh, Dr. Spock, don't you know that I have a forty something year old friend who won't eat anything with cooked onions in it because she has believed (since childhood) they look like tapeworms?!

Daddy and I eat creative, beautiful, multi-colored, and mostly wholesome food. Despite my best efforts to encourage, coax, and woo him otherwise, he prefers to stick to what he knows instead of what is good for him.  I never had this issue with my daughters. They bought into the fact that it was super cool to eat trees (i.e., broccoli) and tubby tustard (i.e., oatmeal mixed with yogurt).  His back hurts. He gets cramps in his feet.  How do I convince him that he needs to get on the nutrition train?

So, the other day, I got in the driver's seat of the nutrition train.  I made some lovely, home-made biscuits.  I placed hot, steaming goodies in front of him and said, "Gabe, don't you want some warm, fluffy bicuits.  They are yummy with grape jelly.  Daddy really likes them."  Hubby nodded in agreement. To which the resident four year old retored, "No, um...I don't fink so. Warm, fluffy bicuits are dis-GUSTING!"

"Gabe, look, Mommy made this really good and wonderful thing for you.  It is the very best thing for you.  It will help you feel full, keep your back from hurting, and prevent your feet from cramping. Don't you want the best thing for you?"

Then quietly comes a knock on my heart.

Knock, knock, knock
I answered the knock, "Yes?"
"Sound Familiar?"
Still not getting it, I answered, "What do you mean? I like warm fluffy bicuits."
"How about wanting my BEST for your life?"
I responded, "It's true, I do, but what you are asking for me to do is really, really hard.  It might 'taste bad'."
"Nah, Taste and see that I AM good.  I serve you a feast in front of your enemies.  I have good plans for you."
"Okay, okay, okay." I smiled and put the plate of biscuits down, said a prayer, opened my laptop, and started writing.  Later that day, I even went for a walk.

I was reminded of what good thing(s) God wants to do in my life.  What about you?  What Warm Fluffy Biscuit is God Trying to give you?


 
Chew on this:

Consider the words of this song, "Trust You" by Brandon Heath

Read the scriptures below in the Message version
Psalm 37: 7 -9 
Psalm 23:5
Jeremiah 29:11

Robin's  Recipe for Warm Fluffy Biscuits



Recipe:
2 cups of Self-Rising Biscuit Flour
1/4 cup of shortening
2/3 cup of milk

Process:
  1. Pre-Heat Oven to 400 degrees
  2. Cut the shortening into the flour until it is the size of grains of rice.
  3. Pour the milk into the mixture and stir for 10 - 15 strokes.
  4. Dump mixture on a floured work surface and roll out to 3/4".
  5. Use a glass to shape into round biscuits or use a knife and cut into squares.
  6. Place in a greased baking dish and bake for 10 - 13 minutes.
  7. After removing them from the oven, butter the top of each biscuit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

The Answer to Anxiety

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting