The Wrong Side of the Door

I alwayz on da wrong side of da door.
The animals are conspiring against me.  Just when I thought it was safe to go to sleep....

"ZZZZZzzzzzzz" drool flowed like a river down my chin and onto my pillow.
"Scritch, scritch, scritch", went the little furry paw on my bedroom door.  The dog began howling.
"Don't these animals know it's cold outside?  I am quite content in my warm cocoon.  Why are they never happy where they are?", I moaned.
A voice answered, "They aren't much different than the rest of creation now are they?  Always on the 'wrong side' of the door."

Disturbed by the dream, I bolted upright in the bed.  "Wrong side of the door? What's that mean? Which door?"  Bleary eyed, I stumbled to the kitchen, made the coffee, retrieved wood, and started a fire in the woodstove.

Poking the fire, I repeated over and over to myself, "Wrong side of the door, wrong side of the door." (Fires are great for cogitating.) Poke.  Poke.  Poke.   "A door is an object that is shaped to shut off an access opening. Well, the cats are never content with where they are."

A bell went off in my head.  The great Oprah spoke..."If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough."  True contentment escaped me for most of my adult life. I struggled with growing where I was planted.  At times, I have forgtten myself, wrung my hands, and focused on my lack instead of God's infinite supply.  I totally get not being content; however, I have made progress.  God has done some amazing work.  He has transformed a miserable shrew into a joyful and content woman.  

"But how'd I get here?"  Still troubled, I went to the Lord in prayer, "Lord, why are so many people (and animals) discontent?"  A picture of a flashing sword blinked like a neon sign in my mind's eye.  I grabbed my Bible and looked it up "So the LORD God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life." (Genesis 3:23-24 NIV 2011)

As I sat and looked at the fire, I understood.  From the time that Adam and Eve were sent away from the perfect presence of God, we have been trying to get back there.  In the absence of God's pefection, our lives are dark, restless, cold, and insatiable.  The emptiness we feel inside sends us searching, nay, scouring the land for the 'right side' of the door."

Tears welled up in my eyes and started to stream down my face as I looked at the fire.  "Oh, my soul! Lord, I don't want anyone I know to be on the 'wrong side' of the door."  In my sadness, I sat; then a joyful thought spread it's light into my mind. "Wait, You were sad, too!  You provided a way back for us.  A door to enter and be in your presence.  Jesus is the way!"  (Don't you just love those Ah-Ha moments?)

Friends, wherever you are, you don't have to scratch on any more closed doors.  You don't need to look any further.  You have found what you are looking for; and what you were looking for was the right door.  The right door is Jesus.  He is the way to the Peace that you seek.  Jesus says, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."

Now you may be wondering, "When I'm at the door, what do I ask?"  Simple.  Ask Jesus to come into your life and to be your saviour.  Maye you are thinking this is too easy, that maybe you have to clean yourself up and do some jumping jacks or something.  No, really, it is that simple.  Come dirty, thirsty, and cold.  Knock on the door and receive the free gift of life from Life Himself.

More to Chew On:

Accept Jesus as your Saviour
What do I do now?

Consider the words to these songs:
Need to Breathe, Lay em' down
Mandissa--Voice of the Savior

"If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:8-10 NIV 2011)

"If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins [dismiss our lawlessness] and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness [everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action]."
1 John 1:9 AMP

“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."  (Matthew 7:13 - 14 NIV 2011)

Comments

  1. Thanks Robin. I can see my petition to the Lord on your behalf paid off. You are such a gifted writer and child of God. Thanks for being my friend and I consider it a gift that you are mine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

The Answer to Anxiety

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting