Grandmother's Garden

When I need a boost, I go outside. It recharges me mentally, physically, emotionally, and most of all spiritually. When I look at nature, I am reminded of my creator and his love for his creation. In fact, everywhere I look in my Grandmother’s garden I see the revelation of God.


Roses appear to be delicate and fragile, but the more you cut them back and dead head them the more they grow and the stronger the plant gets. This flower always reminds me of the pruning process the Lord puts his children through. It is not a “feel good” thing to have stuff cut away, but God, the Constant Gardner, wants us to grow and be strong. He dead heads the things in our lives that drain us and keep us from being beautiful and fruitful.

In Matthew 6:25 -34 Lilies are quoted to be more beautifully arrayed than Solomon in all of his splendor and that if God would adorn the grass of the field like that, then how much more does he care for us? So, anytime I see lilies, I always sing to the reggae song by Bob Marley “Three Little Birds".  He sings, "Don’t Worry about a thing, every little thing is going to be alright”. The Lord is going to take care of you. He’s got you girl!

Gardenias are the most fragrant flower along my Grandmother’s path. These old fashioned flowers are small and white and have beautiful deep green, waxy leaves. They remind me of female mentors I have had. Titus 2:3-5 tells us about this older variety woman who is an absolute treasure. They are so giving with their time and talent. They are truly a fragrant offering to Christ by influencing those around them. One day, when I'm a full grown, I hope to be like these beautiful ladies.  Thanks Grandma, Mom, Elaine, Terri, Belinda, and Mikki!

When I was a child, I would collect every Daffodil I could find and bring the armload to my Grandma. She would always say, “Mercy, child. You should have left some in the pasture for us to look at.” Of course, when I was a little girl I couldn’t resist these little rays of sunshine and thought my Grandmother should have everyone of them I could find. Daffodils always remind me that after months of cold and deadness that God has still been busy preparing to bring life back into a dying world. Truly, Daffodils remind me that He is always doing a new thing.

There is also a very plain and overlooked bush called the Nandina. It has these wonderful green leaves that turn russet in the winter and bear small blood red berries. It is a grand reminder of the most important aspect of faith—the Blood of Christ. Just like this bush, Christ was plain and mostly disregarded, but the beautiful blood red display was so extravagant a gift it renders me speechless.  There is no greater love than one who would lay his own life down for another—such a humble plant reminds me of the awe-inspiring and life saving message of Jesus.

Find the stars of my Grandmother’s garden. I hope they remind you that you are not alone and you are loved more than you could ever hope or imagine.


Consider the words to a few of Grandma's favorite Hymns:

"In the Garden" sung by Alan Jackson

"I'll Fly Away" sung by Jars of Clay





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

Darkness and Ditches

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting