One Glorious Day

The computer sound was low, but I could hear ever so faintly, "Don't ever ask to leave this tower again."  My mind whirred to place the line from the new movie Tangled.  "Oh, yes," I thought, "This was the evil reply from the witch to Rapunzel's innocent request to be set free."

"To be set free...." my mind rolled over the words, "To be set free.  To be set free.  F-R-E-E-D-O-M." In my mind's eye, I saw the picture again. An empty Sumo Wrestler costume hung there waving in the breeze.  I rubbed my eyes.  The picture remained.  I took a minute to study the picture because I couldn't figure out why it was flapping in the breeze.  It was like it was hung up on something.  Then I saw it bigger than day.  The sumo suit was hanging on the CROSS.

Softly, gently I heard deep down in my heart, "This battle is already won.  The freedom that you seek has already been paid for by me.  This battle is already won.  Keep your eyes on me, child, and run the race that has been set before you." 

Hot tears started rolling down my cheeks with the realization that this wasn't the first time the Lord told me this.  Three years prior I began feeling like I was imprisoned in a fat suit.  Three years ago, in a snot bubble, heaving prayer time, I cried out to the Lord about the extra 80 lbs on my frame and then I saw it.  I saw the fat suit hanging on the cross. And...since that time,   I have lost and gained back the same 8 lbs.  I have not been losing weight; I have been losing the battle. 

Then I remembered how God ministered to Joshua on his first big battle since Moses died.  The pre-incarnate Christ showed up as a warrior with sword drawn to tell Josh two things 1) The fortress of Jericho was already delivered into his hands by God and 2) What Joshua needed to do to cooperate with the Spirit of God.  Joshua 5:13 - 14 and Joshua 6:1-5  NIV 2011

What Christ did for Joshua, Paul repeats to the Hebrews of his day, "...then fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. "  Hebrews 12:1-3

But wait, am I telling you that God cares about such a small thing as losing weight?  Yes, but I am also telling you something that is much, much bigger.  What I am telling you is that what God told Joshua and what Paul told the Hebrews is that the freedom that you seek is yours if you are a true believer.

What is that impenetrable fortress that you cannot seem to conquer?  What is that thing are you ashamed of and holding onto because you don't know how to get rid of it?  Did you know the battle has been won already? Did you know you can just lay it down at the cross? Did you know that you can stop beating yourself to smithereens because Christ already took the beating for you?  Did you know that when Jesus walked out of that grave he gave each true believer complete and total victory over sin and death.

Last question...Are you a true believer?  If so, receive what Christ freely gave.  Throw off those snares and walk out the walk He marked out for you.  If not, He loves you so much that He laid his life down so you wouldn't have to.  Take that leap of faith that will bring you final and complete victory over the issues that plague you and death. 
Chew on this:

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” - Galatians 2:20


"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends."--John 15:13

Consider the words to these songs:

"One Glorious Day" sung by Casting Crowns

 "The Old Rugged Cross" sung by Alan Jackson

Comments

  1. Awesome devo Robin, thanks for sharing this part of your life and how God is still working with and through you as you claim(and sometimes reclaim) the victory through the cross. I love you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful devotion and thank you for sharing. I wrestle too with a weight problem. This time I am laying it on the cross. I had prayed for help from God that I might develop the right frame of mind and He is truly guiding the way. I will pray for you and we WILL get to a place of comfort with this struggle. Love you sweet sister :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting

Darkness and Ditches