Can You Handle the Truth? (Part 1)



My hubby  (Left)  circa 1992 standing a post for us.  Semper Fi, Babe.
  "Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg?", the computer whirred while Col. Jessup continued his monologue.    "You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall."

As A Few Good Men  played on,  I thought about how famous that movie made the phrase, "You can't handle the truth." Almost 20 years after the movie has sunset from the silver screen that line has become part of our vernacular.

I mused over the word truth.  What danced through my mind next was the fact that most people are on a search it, but when it reveals itself, most folks simply "can't handle the truth", but WHY?

As I sat pondering the big old WHY question, a small voice whispered, "if you truly recognized what is absolute truth and absorbed it, then you would be compelled to do something about it."  Then I remembered how James put it, "
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.  But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do." (James 1:22 -25 NIV)
Basically it boils down to five things about truth:  1) If we seek it, we will find it.  2) If we find it, we will find out who we truly are. 3) If we understand who we are and whose we are, we will be free.  4)  If we are freed, we will be asked to stand a post.  5) If we stand a post, it will be on a wall to protect what is precious behind the wall. 

So what is the ABSOLUTE TRUTH?  Let me allow the most reputable person I know to answer this Himself. 
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know[b] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”  (John 14: 6 -7 NIV)
Something to Chew On:
Do you can personally know the absolute truth?
Do you believe that the truth will set you free?
Are you ready to recognize, understand, act on, and be blessed by the REAL TRUTH?

Verses to Ponder:
"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity."  Jeremiah 29:13 -14 (NIV)


Consider the word to these songs:
"I Am New" sung by Jason Gray
"I Am Free" sung by the Newsboys

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting

Darkness and Ditches