Keep Your Eyes On Me

Carrying an extra 80 pounds on my frame, my arms and legs felt as if they were in mud.  Spying the quarter mile marker, my daughter informed me, "Mom, there's the line; let's turn around."  Tired and breathless, I managed, "Ash, I could turn back now, but I haven't crossed the line yet.  I have to finish.  This is just the half way point." 
I lumbered a little farther across the line and then turned around to complete the mile and a half circuit.

What dawned on me is I really did want to quit.  I really did want to give up and turn around.  You see, the situation I'm in overwhelms me to the point that I don't have any answers and feel powerless against it. 

Have you gotten to that point in your life yet?  Are you hemmed in by your circumstances so much that you feel like an paraplegic lying flat on your back on the ground looking up while screaming, "God, what is it? You have my attention. What do you want with me?"

Friend, if your answer is... "yes", then your next question is..."but what can I do?"  Clearly the answer is not anything YOU can do.  Because if you could do it for yourself, you would have tried that by now.  So then what is the answer? Who can right this situation?  Where are you going to go, Robin?

Well, whenever I'm on my back and can't get up, I remember what the Psalmist stated so simply "I lift up my eyes to the mountains--where does my help come from?  My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth."  The person who CAN in your CAN'T situation is Jesus.

"Yes, but.." No buts about it.You've been in control of the show for long enough.  It's time for you to surrender circumstances and your life to God.  You can only manage one or two things, but the maker of the universe has got it ALL in His hands.  That includes what you are going through right now.   Someone bigger than you has you in His sights.  Jesus Himself tells us so, "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."   The word 'care', in the Greek, is also rendered as 'knowledge'.  God knows you and your circumstances.  He hasn't forgotten you.  You are the apple of his eye, and He's asking you to trust Him.  To look to him for the answers, not within yourself.

Which brings me back to where I started...running.  Twenty two years ago my Dad dutifully helped me train to enter the Air Force.  Time after time I would slow down and try to quit.  As the apple of my Daddy's eye, he would never let me give in to the temporary pain of learning to run.  He would just say, "C'mon, Robin keep up. You can do it." Then I would say, "But, Daddy, I can't. It's too hard" And then the answer would always come back,  "Sure you can. Just keep your eyes on me."


 
The answers that you seek are:

Who can? Jesus.
Why?  Because God is good and desires a relationship with you and wants to save you.
What does He want?  For you to surrender control and TRUST Him with your life and circumstances.
When? NOW. No time like the present.
Where? Wherever you are.  You don't have to wait for a priest or a church or a special invitation.  The time and place is right now and right here.
How?  You just pray.  Say it or write it from your heart to God's.  "Lord, I need your help. I've done it my way for so long and it isn't working.  I believe that Jesus can help me and is who He says He is.  I want you in my life and to direct my life. Amen."
Chew on this:
Read Psalm 103.  Read the benefits of a sovereign, all mighty, all powerful and ever present God.
Read Psalm 18.  Look how God rescues His children!  Isn't that what you would do for a child who needed your help?
Proverbs 3:5 -6.  This is your life verse, control freak.  ;)
Read Matthew 11:29 - 30. Come to Jesus. Let Him take your troubles 

Quote: " If you will receive yourself in the fires of sorrow, God will make you nourishment for other people."--Oswald Chambers

Listen to the words in these songs:
"My Help Comes From the Lord" by the Museum
"I Will Lift My Eyes"  by Bebo Norman
Turn Around by Matt Maher

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

Darkness and Ditches

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting