I See You

Of late, I've been feeling lonely, absolutely invisible to those around me.  Ever been there?  Regardless of whether it was at work, home, or in my prayer group, I felt as if my actions, presence, and words were ignored.  Disregard hung on me like a bad suit. The more it hung around; the more focus I gave it. 

On Sunday, IT WAS STILL THERE.  I got dressed and sadly rode to church.  Heavy-hearted, unannounced, and unnoticed, I slipped into the auditorium.  I desperately wanted to hear from God.  With anticipation, I retrieved my journal and pen and waited to record his voice.   The music began, I set my journal aside and rose to worship.  As held my hands up and imbibed the worship music, my focus imperceptibly changed. A thought crossed the movie marquee of my mind, "I AM with you. I see you."  

BOOM there it was in my mind's eye...the blue people of Avatar.  The voice of a Navee saying, "I see you."  In the Navee culture it meant to see all of you...into your soul.  Quickly and quietly, the blue people faded away and a new image appeared, Hagar.  Could anyone be more alone and discounted than a runaway pregnant slave girl?  The culture of that time would deem a person who was a runaway, an out of wedlock preggo, a slave, and a girl completely unworthy of a second glance.  But, oh no, not God. 

He saw her.  He saw the smoke plume emanating up from the wreckage of her life.  The pre-incarnate Christ found her, entreated her to turn around, and blessed her.  Based on this encounter, Hagar's focus changed.  Her new lodestar was the one true God, 'El Roi', the 'God who sees my affliction'.

It was as if Jesus himself put his precious hands beneath my chin and raised it up so that my eyes met his. 
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."  (Hebrews 12:1-2 NIV)
Tears sprung to my eyes as hope returned.  I mouthed in silent prayer, "God you are with me. You see me and this mess.  I can keep going.  Thank you for adjusting my focus from me to Thee."

Chew on this:
What is the burnt out wreckage in your life you are running from?  Do you know that God sees you and cares about you?  Are you aware that God can take your sorrow and turn it into joy?

"El Roi sees your past misery, your present pain, your uncertain future. He is so watchful that He knows when the smallest sparrow perishes (Mt. 10:29, 30, 31). And He is the God who sees and cares for you today." — Marvin Williams

Verses to Remember:
"And now, God, do it again—
      bring rains to our drought-stricken lives
   So those who planted their crops in despair
      will shout hurrahs at the harvest,
   So those who went off with heavy hearts
      will come home laughing, with armloads of blessing"  (Psalm 126:4-6 MSG)

Listen to these songs:

"Trading My Sorrows"  by Darrell Evans

The Names of God set to "Show Me Your Glory" by Third Day

Comments

  1. Robin, I love this post. Thank you for that reminder that no matter who "sees" me...or not...my God ALWAYS sees me and knows what is needed. I love you my sister!

    <3 Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Robin, just beautiful as it spoke to me and was a fresh reminder of how faithful He is when we humble ourselves before Him. He sees us in a hard times as well as the good times. He actually holds me up off the floor during the hard times. Somestimes we just have to stop long enough to make eye contact with Him. I love you and no, you are never invisible. Charlotte Askew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin,
    It is as if you could see into my soul this morning. I have been "lost" this week in the transition between bosses and positions. I felt no one understood. Yesterday I cried on and off grieving over what I have lost and not sure I want to move to the position ahead. I heard the Casting Crowns song yesterday "Praise You In This Storm" and the words I heard "Every tear I cried, He held in His hands" and knew that God was catching my tears but you brought the whole message home this morning. Thank you for allowing God to use you as His messenger and soothing my heart and soul. You are a gem. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Robin!! I love your heart. You are amazing! Thanks for this reminder!!! Love you sister!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

The Answer to Anxiety

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting