Changing Mental Channels

Woke up a bit jangled and negative today.  As my feet walked down the wide trail of negativity to the mud puddle of anger, a whisper came in my heart...

"You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you." (Isaiah 26:3 NIV)

My eyes turned up.  "Okay, okay, okay." I knew that I needed to change the mental channel; so I found three of my favorite worship songs, turned them up loud and sang along.

Sing a Song by Third Day
10,000 Reasons by Matt Redman
Your Great Name by Natalie Grant

As I listened to the songs and watched the videos, my senses were overwhelmed. The music flooded my ears.  The beautiful landscape scenes inundated my eyes with God's creation.  The words of scripture crashed over my weary soul.
Joy blossomed in my heart when I closed my eyes and surrendered to the song.  My tongue trumpeted gratitude as I continued to sing.  My confidence, positivity, and peace returned as I remembered WHO really is in control of the universe .
The new perspective clicked over to the new mental channel--peace.  The dark clouds of negativity cleared out and positive mental reception had been restored.

Why was my mental channel changed so quickly and efficiently? Easy... so a man thinks, so a man goes.

1)  We cannot express joy and negativity at the same time.
There is a supernatural strength found in joy because it is light.  The darkness negativity cannot prevail over joy's light.

2) Whatever we think most about has power over us
If we meditate on all that we don't have we will never have enough.  If we think instead on what is true, right, noble, beautiful and pure.  Give our mind, tongue and heart over to gratitude.
3)  There is security, safety, and serenity in Divine Sovereignty
In accepting the idea of God's gracious care and extravagant love for us, we can submit my heart and mind to the fact that we don't have to be in control.  In fact,when we choose to meditate on who God says He is and what He says He can do, it erases all of the anxieties that are threatening to overtake us.

A Points to Ponder:
  • Look at this same pattern repeated in David's Psalm. 
  • Listen to the songs above and meditate on the words. 
  • Try the steps: Sing for Joy, Express Gratitude, Surrender to Divine Sovereignty.
Psalm 108
The Message (MSG)

A David Prayer

1-2 I'm ready, God, so ready,
ready from head to toe.
Ready to sing,
ready to raise a God-song:
"Wake, soul! Wake, lute!
Wake up, you sleepyhead sun!"
3-6 I'm thanking you, God, out in the streets,
singing your praises in town and country.
The deeper your love, the higher it goes;
every cloud's a flag to your faithfulness.
Soar high in the skies, O God!
Cover the whole earth with your glory!
And for the sake of the one you love so much,
reach down and help me—answer me!
7-9 That's when God spoke in holy splendor:
"Brimming over with joy,
I make a present of Shechem,
I hand out Succoth Valley as a gift.
Gilead's in my pocket,
to say nothing of Manasseh.
Ephraim's my hard hat,
Judah my hammer.
Moab's a scrub bucket—
I mop the floor with Moab,
Spit on Edom,
rain fireworks all over Philistia."
10-11 Who will take me to the thick of the fight?
Who'll show me the road to Edom?
You aren't giving up on us, are you, God?
refusing to go out with our troops?
12-13 Give us help for the hard task;
human help is worthless.
In God we'll do our very best;
he'll flatten the opposition for good.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

Darkness and Ditches

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting