Money Does Not Have Wings

"Who wants to go to a restaurant? Raise your hand.", says Gabriel, my 5 year old.  My Hubby and I look at each other, laugh and leave our hands down."

Me, "Gabe, sweetie, we can go on Friday when Mommy and Daddy get paid.  We have to wait."

Gabe, "But why?"

Me, warming up my best Dave Ramsey live-within-your-means speech "Well, we have to only spend the money for things we need right now.  Going to a restaurant is a treat, which is a want, not a need.  We have to wait until pay day to do that."

Gabe, "I NEED to get chickies.  I don't WANT to eat at home."

Me, "Gabe every month Mommy and Daddy have to decide what to do with the money that we get from our pay that is called a budget.  We have to divide it up between some spending money, some saving money, and some giving to God money."

Gabe, very exasperated, "Mommy, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT????  Money doesn't have wings.  It can't fly up to heaven!"

In comes the comedic relief, under his breath Hubby says, "Well, I don't know maybe it does have wings as fast as leaves my bank account."

Wryly smiling at both of the men in my life, I face palm myself.  "Gabe, you are right.  Money doesn't fly up to heaven with wings.  But when we give our money to church or when we do a good thing like help someone who really needs food or give to an orphan, God looks at our heart."

Gabe,"He does?"

Me, "Yep, God has super x-ray vision.  He can tell by looking at our heart to see if we were just pretending or  if we  really cared to help someone. If He looks at our heart and sees that we were just pretending, maybe just showing off, or didn't really care, then He is sad.  It would be like we didn't give Him anything at all.  If He looks at our heart and sees that we really cared, then He is happy with us. That is our treasure we give to Him."

Gabe, "Okay."

Whew! Another parental bullet dodged. But seriously, what a great teaching moment with my son.  Another reminder to always, always check my motives.

How about you?  When is the last time you've been challenged to examine why you do what you do?  Are you proving God's supernatural love for the world or just checking boxes?

Points to Ponder:

"The characteristic of a disciples not that he does good things, but that he is good in his motives, having been made by the supernatural grace of God." ~ Oswald Chambers

"If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love." (1 Corinthians 13:7 MSG)

"The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure.  Who can understand it?  “I the Lord search the heart  and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to what their deeds deserve.”  " (Jeremiah 17:9-10 NIV)

Contemplate the Words of These Songs:

The Proof of Your Love, by King and Country

Give Me Your Eyes, by Brandon Heath

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

Darkness and Ditches

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting