Surprise Blessing & Transformed Life




I was in a high hissy melt down and phoned my husband, “Babe, we will be absolutely out of money at the end of the month.  I have no idea how we will pay for two mortgages.  I cannot ask my parents for another loan.  I feel so stupid for moving before we sold that house.”  He didn’t know what to do.  The phone hung in the tense silence between us.  After what seemed like an hour, I blurted out a phrase our pastor had used on Sunday, “God does things when we pray that He does not do when we do not pray  Chris broke his stillness, “Why don’t we try that?”  So, we prayed.  We prayed a prayer of desperation.  We plead, “Remember you said for us to Trust in you with all our heart and commit our ways to you and you would make our path straight and our way smooth? Proverbs 3: 5 – 6 NIV.  Lord, we do believe you watch over us more so than the sparrows, but we don’t know what to do (Matthew 6:26 – 27 NIV). Please help us.  Amen.” We were both weeping as we hung up the phone.

A week or so after that, a friend called to rent the house that we had not been able to sell.  For us, it was a miracle.  The situation was in hand.  Sensing that we needed to do something different, we decided to take a class at our church on how to do money God’s way.  In the class, our view on finances changed and our money behaviors morphed.  As we obeyed, our faith grew.  We were following God’s blueprint for money management: 1) Don’t charge, 2) Pay off debt, 3) Use cash, 4) Create a budget, 5) Have an emergency fund, and 6) Pray, pray, pray.

We were getting our legs under us.  My husband had even been able to find work after being unemployed for a year.  Of course, that was just when our renter called to say she would be moving out in March.  Again, we prayed.  This time, however, we prayed a prayer of thanksgiving.  We thanked God for his supply and his sovereignty.   We knew that Chris’ new job was Jehovah Jireh’s solution.

Although things were still tight, they were not unbearable.  The girls thought we were insane, but we were committed.  Again, we prayed.  We prayed a prayer for encouragement to keep going on the narrow path.  Our eyes were fixed on God.  As we were looking to the hills for His peace and rest.  I found out I was pregnant. 

My eyes started welling up with tears of panic.  “Lord, really? This isn’t my idea of encouragement.  We are barely making ends meet. How are we going to afford a baby?”  God whispered, “Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.” Psalm 127:2 – 4. I repeated the last half of the verse. “…children are a reward from him”. Alarm died away and joyful tears sprang to my eyes.   We were being rewarded for our reliance and obedience. 

A slow dawning began and my crying slowed, “Wait, Oh my soul!” God reminded me that my daughters were priceless jewels who were given to me far before I was ever faithful or obedient.  They were not just responsibilities to be shouldered until college. They were love offerings.  At that moment, Faith, Love, and Hope intersected, collided and exploded inside a mother’s cold heart.  My heart burst open with delight.  The Lord had not only transformed me as a wife, but also as a mother.  I was no longer the woman at the well.  I had been completely refurbished into a beautiful wife and mother of noble character.  Thank you, Jesus .

Where do you go for help? Could you use a life lift?  Would you like God to completely transform your life?  Follow this link to begin your walk with God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

Darkness and Ditches

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting