Spiritual Nutrition Challenge Week 5-- Can You Roll the Right Way?

By Marijke Blazer [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Have you ever diligently worked the plan...doing that which you know you should do, but still feel like you are losing and not the good stuff like weight or inches, but the whole war?

I feel this way a lot.  I know what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm doing it to the best of my ability, but then I fall off the wagon.  Instead of getting back up and on, I get trapped in the hopeless spot.

Ever been there?  

I love how the weeping prophet, Jeremiah, painted the scene taking place in his heart in Lamentations 3: 19 - 29 (NIV).

I remember my affliction and my wandering,
    the bitterness and the gall.  
 I well remember them,
    and my soul is downcast within me.

He remembered all of the bad things.  Look at the words, "I remember my affliction and my wandering... I well remember them."

 In verses 1 - 18, Jeremiah focused on the problems that beset him because of serving God.  In fact he described how he felt, what it tasted like and the mess that it left him in. 

 He felt "bitter", it tasted like "gall", it left a "downcast"  feeling in his heart. 

For eighteen verses, he magnified his circumstances to God.  That is a lot of kvetching.

Then in verse 19, he changed direction.  Instead of looking at the circumstantial swirl and self-focus that pulled him downward, he redirected his gaze upward.

Yet this I call to mind
    and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
    for his compassions never fail.
 They are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
 I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
    therefore I will wait for him.”

The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
    to the one who seeks him;
it is good to wait quietly
    for the salvation of the Lord. 


Jeremiah stopped ruminating and started calling to mind the hope that he had in the Lord.

He remembered...

  • God's love protects us.
  • His compassion is unfailing.
  • His faithfulness is unending and ever-renewing.
  • God is fullness.
  • God is worth waiting for.
  • The Lord is good to those who hope in and seek him.

Jeremiah employed what I like to call the STOP, DROP, and ROLL method.

He wrote out 18 verses complaining.  In one verse, he STOPped!  He DROPped to his knees, and ROLLed it over to God by extolling all of God's lovingkindness.

Finally, like a baby looking for satisfaction at the mother's breast, he finally found it and was quieted by all of God's goodness.


Spiritual Nutrition Challenge Week 5

Journal Assignment:  Can You Roll the Right Way?

Exercise Assignments:

Spirit:  Roll your focus back to God.  Refocus your spirit by spending an hour recalling all of God's goodness Start in Psalm 100 to enter into his presences by thanking and praising him!  Remember all of his benefits by memorizing Psalm 103.  Sing a praise song at the top of your lungs!  Try this one by Jason Gray....Help Me, Thank You!

Mind:   Stop rehearsing your issues!  Write those issues and hurts out on a piece of paper and burn it!  
  

Body:  Drop to your knees and pray!  Then slap those shoes on and walk it out!

Prayer:    Lord, may we  STOP, DROP, and ROLL.  I pray we would stop looking at our own stuff and adjust our focus upward.  I pray that we would thank more than we complain.  I pray that we would praise more than we compare.  I pray we would pray more than we speak about those things that nag us to death.  Lord you are good and your love endures forever.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

In Jesus Name, Amen.

Passages Referenced in hyperlinks can be found in:

Lamentations 3; Psalm 100; Psalm 103



P.S.  Let's stay in touch!  Inbox me or comment on how God is moving in your life.  Find me here, on email at robin_concept.events@yahoo.com, on Facebook at therealrobinjones-powerwalk or on Twitter @realrobinjones




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Biggest Loser, Ugly Truth, and Hope

Erector Sets--The Gift of Regifting

Darkness and Ditches